You were sitting in my spot.Petunia, channeling Sheldon
Today is the 100th anniversary of my mother’s birth. I discovered this delightful clipping about a hike to a farm and a picnic with storytelling under a big tree she helped to organize. It could be straight out of Anne of Green Gables.
I love finding these blurbs. This and others are giving me new insight into my parents’ early lives pre-me.
I jest, but this does bring back memories of visits back and forth when I was young enough to be bored but old enough to appreciate any change in routine. This was a visit without us, though.
This morning I, “Dianne Schirg,” made this marvelous discovery from a simpler time when a family visit to Bellwood, Pennsylvania, was noteworthy.
I haven’t moved since I posted “Magnetic personality” in 2008, but my refrigerator was replaced with a newer model in a different location after an apartment remodeling. Not too long ago, I finished redecorating it with magnets I’d found recently. Here we go:
Events and places
- Boyer Candies (Altoona, Pennsylvania)
- Bristol Renaissance Faire 2018
- Clearwater Historic Lodge, Gunflint Trail (Minnesota, August 2014)
- The Devil’s Kettle, Brule River (Minnesota, August 2014)
- Elk Country Visitor Center (Pennsylvania, year unknown)
- Great Lakes, unsalted and shark-free (Indiana Dunes Visitor Center)
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore (two from Indiana Dunes Visitor Center)
- Letchworth — old railroad trestle, since replaced (May 2015)
- Letchworth State Park — wood (May 2015)
- Metropolis, IL., Home of Superman (May 2013)
- The Naniboujou Lodge (Minnesota, August 2014)
- Pa. Dutch Country: Paradise, Bird in Hand, Blue Ball, Intercourse, Virginville • Virginia may be for lovers, but Pennsylvania has Intercourse (visit in 20XX? to Lancaster)
- “Be Your Own Kind of Beautiful” moose, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore (July 2013)
- Presque Isle State Park, Erie, Pennsylvania (May 2015)
- Rose Hotel (Elizabethtown, Illinois, May 2013)
- Starved Rock (Illinois state park, year unknown)
- Illinois, Land of Lincoln
- New York, the Empire State
- Pennsylvania, the Keystone State
- Butterflies and planets (powerful magnets)
- Leinie’s Sunset Wheat (gift)
- Lincoln Park Zoo carousel animals
- Pig in overalls with straw hat and grass blade (bookseller included this with a copy of Covered Bridges of Pennsylvania Dutchland)
- Shedd Aquarium octopus (possibly from a 2005 visit)
It’s hard to feel unhappy when you greet a day like this.
Continuing Friday’s theme, I met JT for a visit to another Chicago institution, this time the Field Museum of Natural History. First, however, we walked through a gray drizzle from Union Station to Lou Mitchell’s, where we were greeted with … Continue reading →
After receiving a reprieve from work, J. was able to go to Ravinia with me for A Prairie Home Companion. After a brief stop at Treasure Island for supplies and at Bonjour for sandwiches, he graciously agreed to drive, a … Continue reading →
I started my new job on March 28 and, just as I was getting used to the new schedule and routine, a nasty cold knocked me out two weeks later. Outside work, dozing off and falling asleep were becoming my … Continue reading →